Random thoughts about traveling in Italy

So, as usual, I have a few thoughts and observations about travel in Italy as I encounter situations.  These are things that mostly are different from how they are at home in the USA.

  • Credit cards and cash.  People here still use cash for many transactions with small amounts (unlike the US where cash seems to be a dying payment method).  Get a caffè for 1 euro, leave a coin.  But when it comes to credit cards, the Italians have moved up a step.  While in the US, we just got the chip cards rolled out (mostly), the Italians have had contactless cards for a while now.  A contactless credit card is one you can just tap against the machine to make the charge.  This is like Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc., but embedded in the credit card itself.  But it also works with those other payment methods.  I don't think I've had to actually take my credit card out of my pocket to pay since I got here.  I just use my iPhone with Apple Pay, or just use my Apple Watch (this has gotten some raised eyebrows and comments--not many Apple Watch users I guess).  Sure makes it convenient--and you don't have to worry about losing your credit cards if your wallet gets stolen.  I only keep one credit card in my wallet in case there's someplace that doesn't take contactless cards and leave the rest at home (sorry AMEX).
  • It's been unseasonably warm here.  Highs in the low- to mid-70s (Fahrenheit) with some heavy humidity.  I wasn't planning on these temperatures.  I have lots of sweaters, but not a lot of warm, humid weather gear.  So I've had to buy some shirts, which isn't as easy as you might think.  About the only kind of shirts or pants carried in stores are "slim fit".  Those how know me, know that there's nothing "slim" about my shape.  So the store clerks, who have by now caught wind of a sale, will propose anything to get you to buy those "slim fit" items.  "We have XXL slim fit that might work!"  And sure enough, it fits around my middle, but I'd need to have arms like an orangutan for my hands to extend beyond the end of the sleeves.  Then the clerk points out that you can tighten the cuff by using the 2nd button so it doesn't slip down over your hands (I'd always wondered what those were for).  And voilá, it all works (says the clerk).  Well, sort of, kind of, maybe, with a lot of extra fabric bunched up just north of my wrists.  Sigh.  Okay.  I need something soon, so let's do this.  Reminds me of the story of the guy and his tailor... Ask me about it when I'm back.
  • There is a new "thing" in Italy (and I believe many other countries) driven by Airbnb.  Most of the apartments I have been and will stay in are purchased by their owners exclusively to rent out as Airbnb properties.  So, indeed, as many argue, Airbnb is reducing the number of apartment units available for the local population.  But that aside, these apartments are almost all newly renovated using the most modern designs--clean and simple.  I suspect IKEA has something to do with the design's style.  In any case this often results in a lack of certain amenities which would distract from the clean simplicity....  Like towel bars. Or soap dishes.  I've been in 3 units so far on this trip and not one of them had anywhere to hang a bath towel so it would dry out--I end up draping it over chairs (usually there are metal table or bar chairs that work).  Nor has any had a soap dish in the shower; you have to keep your soap on the floor.  So you're constantly bending over to pick it up.  I suppose this might be good exercise, but not my idea of a shower activity.

  • I've been traveling in Italy over many years.  They still smoke a LOT.  When I started, it was impossible to avoid smoke, meaning you ate very early so that you didn't have to put up with smoke in your face while eating.  A few years ago, Italy passed laws prohibiting smoking inside restaurants and bars, in public transportation, etc.  But that doesn't keep the smoke from choking you as you walk behind smokers on the street.  It also makes eating al fresco difficult because smoking is allowed on the patios.
Well, it's getting time for aperitivi.  I'm in Treviso (second day) and staying next to a canal with a water wheel just outside my windows.



Treviso is a very nice place to stay, although I'm further from the train station that I thought (I'm staying in Treviso to avoid the Acqua Alta in Venice, but need to take the train from here to there when the Acqua isn't so Alta).  Nice bar across the canal from here has tables canal-side.




Comments

  1. These are so witty! Have to note - concerning the picking up the soap from the floor shower activity - that would drive me nuts...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Week in Treviso/Venice

A restaurant and a museum in Bergamo

Bologna is to good living what heaven is to good living (but different kinds of good)!